Ryan Macalandag. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Music: Loboc Youth Band

Concert Photos by Ryan Macalandag
Tagbilaran City, Bohol, Philippines

Sandugo Streetdancing 2008-83

My wife Reg and my sister Liza thought otherwise, but I thought the Loboc Youth Band are an amazing bunch to behold and listen to.

Imagine a group of 150 talented kids with their trumpets, trombones, flutes and what-nots, playing a range of tunes that are both skillfully tough and musically fun. Add-in a dash of kid's play and a hint of humorous side-plays. I was pretty amazed. Awed and amazed.

Sandugo Streetdancing 2008-85

These kids all hail from the town of Loboc in Bohol, known for their musical heritage and the internationally acclaimed Loboc Children's Choir. Their ages range from 6 to 15 based on their looks. I won't be surprised if some of them were younger though.

Sandugo Streetdancing 2008-87

Sandugo Streetdancing 2008-86

The group is conducted/led by Rene Balbin, Lobocanon and also a music icon in Bohol. His performance was equally impressive also.

Sandugo Streetdancing 2008-89

They played for an hour (and some) after the awarding ceremonies of this year's Sandugo Streetdancing competition. Hundreds of people saw the event.

Kudos to the group!

P.S. Reg commented that "i didn't really think otherwise...it's just that i was expecting more of a local repertoire. that presentation could have been a great opportunity to showcase local music"..I'm sorry Mommy..my bad..hehe

2 comments:

  1. i didn't really think otherwise...it's just that i was expecting more of a local repertoire. that presentation could have been a great opportunity to showcase local music

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. I am looking forward for your next post.

    Bands

    ReplyDelete